Thursday, March 21, 2013

Cecelia's Baptismal Gown

This weekend my youngest daughter was baptised. It was a beautiful ceremony, in a church filled with our family and friends.  Cecelia finally kicked her bout of RSV and was such a little ham! It definitely was a joyous day indeed!  Welcome to God's family baby girl!

I wanted to share the baptismal gown I made for her. Of all the things I have ever made, this will go at the top as one of the proudest! No, it wasn't overly complicated or super expensive, but so much love went into the making of it, and to see my baby girl wearing it on such an important day filled me with such overwhelming joy and pride. 

 The pattern I used was the Heirloom Baby Ensemble from Texture Magic.  Texture Magic was a new product to me, and I'm so pleased with the results!!  I altered the pattern just a bit--left off the cuff at the bottom (but added 4" in length), and I had to add 1" to the arm cuffs in order to fit my chubby baby girl. I originally cut the cuffs from the textured fabric according to pattern measurements, and they didn't fit. I had to re cut the cuffs with the solid, and while I was a bit disappointed, the dress still turned out beautifully.

To do the texture, I used 1/2 package of Texture Magic (18"x47" package).  I make cross-hatching marks (going on the diagonal) every 1/2" across the entire sheet.  Then, with the texture magic on the backside of your good fabric, I sewed every line. This took an hour or so, and lots of white thread! My main fabric was bridal satin, and it sewed beautifully!  After I had all the lines sewn, I used my steam iron to steam the fabric, and voila! The texture magic shrinks 30% in all directions to create this wonderful textured fabric. 

I left the dress fairly simple, but I did add some beautiful rosettes from Riley Blake along the bottom bodice, and lace along the skirt hemline. 

This was the most hand sewing I have ever done as well. The bodice is fully lined, and is all hand sewn. The rosettes, and lace also had to be hand sewn, along with the snaps on the back.  Like I said, a lot of love poured into this dress! 

I am absolutely smitten with how it all came together, and my beautiful baby wearing it makes it all the more perfect!  This is also project #6 in my 52 items in 2013 personal sewing challenge! Happy Thursday everyone!
Linking up to these great parties!
125 Somewhat Simple 

No comments:

Post a Comment