Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Kwik-Sew Jacket (KSWC Day 3)

Today is the third day of Kids Sewing Week.  Are you getting in your hour a day?  So far I've been doing good--I put in way more than an hour yesterday! :) (working on a summer outfit for Ashlee I hope to share soon!)  Today, I finished up a little hoodie for Cecelia.  She outgrew her infant carseat, so she needed a little jacket to keep her warm in her big-girl carseat. (Which is a MyRide 65 from Graco--I got a great deal on from Albee.com--$118 shipped!)  I wanted just a simple zip-up jacket, and Kwik-Sew 3811 fit the bill perfectly.
We took a little ride to get the chickens some food, and so I could get some pictures of Cecelia in her carseat! She was a little tired, but still so cute!
The pattern was really easy to follow, and didn't take too long to sew up. I used some super comfy knits from my local sewing shop--I think they are Patty Young for Michael Miller.  They are excellent quality knits, but they shrunk a lot when I prewashed them--I probably lost a quarter of the yardage from shrinkage.
I pretty much followed the pattern spot on, except for the hood. The pattern has the hood as all one piece--I wanted the inside to be a different print than the outside, so I had to make a slight change. No biggie, and I really like having the dot print on the inside. 
This is also one of those rare items where I'm happy with how the inside turned out. I've been really focusing on making quality garments for the kids.  I figure that if I'm going to spend the time and money to make something, it ought to be the best I can make. 
I still can't believe how nice the zipper looks! This is definitely one of my best zipper installs.  I love how professional it looks.
Happy Crafting!
signature
Linking to these great parties!
http://www.thetraintocrazy.com/
http://www.somewhatsimple.com/ 
http://www.bearrabbitbear.com/ 
http://www.the36thavenue.com/
http://www.ladybirdln.com/

6 comments:

  1. Super cute! (The jacket AND the model). I tend to stay away from zippers (making it a to-do), hopefully mine will turn out this nice someday. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have put in a few zippers, and I still shy away from them. Even though I know they really aren't all that hard--they just look harder than what they really are. :) So I say go for it! Start with something easy--like a zip-up pouch. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Really cute! I love that knit print, I actually work at a fabric store and I always tell people to buy at least 1/4 yard extra because MM knits do shrink up so much! You did a great job! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The gal at the local store told me the same thing too! So I was really glad I listened. It's a shame the MM stuff shrinks so much though--especially for the price of it!

      Delete
  3. This is SO precious! Both the baby and the jacket. :) I wish I was good enough at sewing to attempt this. :)

    ReplyDelete